Thus Spake An Inert Rebel

<>

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Attaboy Kamal

"Amazing...just amazing"....these was the first words that left my mouth when I finished reading Kamal's shortstory in Vikatan. "aNaya neruppu" is as good as it can get. I have always been a bit sceptical about Kamal's Tamil. He never seems to keep it simple. But his earlier column in Vikatan "Love Pannuda Mavune" seemed to prove me wrong. This one definitely mad me eat my doubts.

I actually felt very bad that I had not thought of this link between the mythologies. I fancy myself as an expert in the Indian Mythology. But this time I had to bow to the Big K. What is really interesting is Kamal's interest in Indian Mythology and religion, inspite of his claims to be an atheist( I personally think he is currently an agnostic and not an atheist.). Illayaraja claims that Kamal can quote easily from Divya Prabandham( a sacred work of the Vaishnavites). And what is really surprising is some of the best spiritual and religious songs in Tamil cinema have come in Kamal's movies.
Maasura Ponne Varuga( Thevar Magan), Sriranga ranagnathanin Patham( Mahanadi), Paartha Vizhi Paartha Padi(Guna), Anda Kandamani Osai Ketturuchu(Virumandi), Isiayil Thodanguthamma (Hey Ram) and the all time favourite Yaar Yaar Sivam (Anbe Sivam).
My only wish is Kamal be as original in movies as he is in his short stories.

Attaboy Kamal!!!!

10 Comments:

At 21/5/06 15:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that was a brilliant work by Kamal no doubt and also I got to compliment your brilliant work by appreciating it in your blog. Hope your wish of kamal being original in his movies be fulfilled in Dasavatharam..Coincidentally again something to do with Mythology (Title) which is your favourite

 
At 22/5/06 09:08, Blogger mutRupuLLi said...

@Kannan.
I don't think Dasavatharam would be mythological stuff. More to do with ten avatars of Kamal. But it would be great if he and Sujatha mange to come up with some uncanny connection between the movie and mythology.
And seriously waiting for the movie to happen...

 
At 22/5/06 10:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@sridhar..no i didnt mean the movie..i just mentioned the title relates to mythology. I heard that it is going to be a serious movie and not of a comedy genre.

Moreover I am waiting for VV to get released ..understand from a friend of mine that the movie is gonna rock

 
At 24/5/06 06:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Kamal is proving himself again and again that he is going strong in his own way. I too read his "Anaya Nerupu" a bit hard to understand and when understood, it turned out as an excellent one. I hope he writes more. A brilliant Individual who can score more, than any one in Acting. Versatile Actor by Profession & Good Human in Personal. Long Live The Mighty KamalHassan

 
At 24/5/06 11:52, Blogger mutRupuLLi said...

@Vignesh...
I don't know how Kamal is a theologist....heck, I don't what qualifies a person to be a theologist?
But that aside...I meant Kamal has always come across as a person who is not very eager to accept the concept of one supreme God. Atleast that is the impression he has always given me.

 
At 25/5/06 23:49, Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

trk,
Kamal doesn't give a damn about your "bhakthi". What r u gonna do? Issue a fatwa or complain to the VHP?
:)

 
At 26/5/06 04:31, Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

trk,
VHP is your domain mate, not mine :)
And pray tell how chaste was your "Lord" Krishna [not to mention other such lords in what you would call your great religious history]? He would put Casanova to shame!
If you don't like his religious interpretations, i think you ignoring such writings is more feasible than telling Aandavar to "stay away" from such things. Good luck to you, sir!

Sridhar,
Sorry but i just can't resist these saffron prudes... chi dudes :)

 
At 26/5/06 09:06, Blogger mutRupuLLi said...

@trk...
Kesevan, I personally would disagree with Rajaji...
"Knowledge, when it becomes fully mature, is bhakthi. If it does not get transformed into bhakthi, such knowledge is useless tinsel"
To me it is a matter of perspective. To an ardent believer, maybe what he says is true. But there can be people who need not be believers. And Hinduism talks about more than one variety of atheism. Further, there exists claims that Bhakthi is one step behind Gyana in the path to Mukthi. So Bhakthi is not the be all and end all of things.

About Kamal I won't comment on his personal life or intrude into his personal space. This I think holds for all celebrities. You can dissect his stories as much as you want, but not his personal space.

@Bala- Giving a damn about Bhakthi is personal choice I guess. Each one of us should have the right to choose that.
As Indians I think we end up being more obsessed with chastity the things that should matter now(IMHO atleast). Chastity might have made sense in much smaller societies involving veru close interactions. It might have helped maintain order. But does it matter now with the isolated lifestyles we have? I don't think so.

 
At 26/5/06 10:29, Blogger mutRupuLLi said...

Relax Kesavan(I got it right this time...), you are entitled to your opinion just as me and Bala are entitled to ours.

 
At 26/5/06 16:35, Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

trk,
Marappom. Ennayum mannikkavum
ANBE SIVAM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home