Thus Spake An Inert Rebel

<>

Monday, March 13, 2006

"Puffing onto paradise" - Poetry

This is my translation of "Mein Zindagi Ka Saath Nibhata Chal Gaya" . It is not a word to word translation. I have stuck to the spirit and essence of the song. This happens to be my favourite Hindi song. A song as profound and as melodious as this appears once in a blue moon. The singer....ofcourse it is Mohd Rafi...who else!!!! And the lyrics by (I guess) Sahir Ludhianvi.



"Puffing onto paradise"


To the fumes from the cigar,

That the gentle wind blows away,

I add both worry and fear,

That I pick on the way.



Not worth it, I say,

To dwell on misery an defeat.

Not worth it, I say

To cry over the milk spoilt.

A bonfire I make,

Of all my losses.

Into that I throw,

All the old carcasses.



What is chanced upon,

Fate, I call.

What is missed and gone,

I forget it all.



Where grief and pleasure look just the same,.

To be placid and tranquil, the name of the game,

Where joy and sorrow, are not of different kind,

To that superior state, I cajole my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home